The final report on our project Destination Parks is now available and presents the general idea of the project, introduces case studies and comes up with a conclusion summing up the general outcomes and the discussions held during the final conference, which took place on September 11th, 2019.
The main issue seems to be the positioning of the protected areas towards the development of (sustainable) tourism and several relating aspects:
• What is the role of protected areas in tourism management?
• Improving the communication of the roles and contributions of parks towards sustainable tourism
• How to value the contribution of parks tourism towards sustainable regional development?
• What are the particularities of tourism in Alpine protected areas?
• How to develop of a common value system of Alpine protected areas regarding tourism?
It was concluded that it would be of general interest to continue working on this topic. The participating protected areas and other ALPARC members showed great interest in such a continued collaboration.
The complete report is available in English at the following link: http://alparc.org/alpine-resources/final-report-destination-parks