YOUrALPS: Educating youth for the Alps: (re)connecting Youth and Mountain heritage for an inspiring future in the Alps
Among young generation there is little awareness of the values and opportunities offered by the natural and cultural heritage of the Alps. There is an urgent need to better inform youth and make them more aware of the Alpine heritage, which has a lot to offer also in terms of economic and social opportunities.
The project YOUrALPS - Educating youth for the Alps: (re)connecting Youth and Mountain heritage for an inspiring future in the Alps, take up the challenge to reconcile young people with the Alps. Twelve project partners from five alpine countries work together to give structure to the field of mountain oriented education and incorporate the values and knowledge of mountains and the Alps more fully in practices also in educational curricula. Thanks to exchanges, training, workshops and trials in pilot sites the project partner will create an "Alpine school model". The project will create new opportunities for youth and increase their empowerment and engagement in the Alpine territory, to better shape their future.
ALPARC is project leader for YOUrALPS. The Netwrok is responsible for technical and financial management and coordination of project partners activities. ALPARC is also responsible for the project communication activities.
YOUrALPS lasts from November 2016 to October 2019 and is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Interreg Alpine Space programme (Total budget: 2.001.017,40 € - ERDF grant: 1.615.864,77 EUR ).
Project main outputs
- A transnational cooperation structure dedicated to Mountain oriented education, gathering schools and universities together with specialist from non-formal education and youth. The network will be based on a participatory web-platform and database providing resources, educational offers, contacts from the educational field at alpine level.
- A comparative report on innovative practices and mountain oriented strategies in the educational field.
- An Alpine School Model. The project will develop a joint international methodological approach based on a charter, a label, shared pedagogical tools and resources adapted to different educational level. Recommendations will support decision-makers in transferring and applying the model.
Project specific objectives
- Fostering and strengthening the Alpine mountain-oriented education sector via the settlement of a network of formal and non-formal education actors. Network’s participants will share knowledge in a web platform dedicated to Mountain Oriented Education.
- Providing youth with opportunities to develop their knowledge and sensibility on the Alpine natural and cultural heritage. Partners’ students will be involved in the model development, actively participating in the project actions and transalpine workshops. Pupils and students from pilot-schools will benefit from testing the “Alpine school” educational model.
- Strengthening the inclusion of mountain-oriented education in the educational curricula in the school system, fostering a transnational alpine cultural identity via the development, test and validation of A common alps-wide operational model : the “Alpine School Model”.
For further info: http://www.alpine-space.eu/projects/youralps/en/home