This working group was created in 1998 and is a horizontal group in that it covers nearly all the subjects dealt with in other groups and exchange programmes. The group is therefore chaired by the Task Force Protected Areas. The group is mostly made up of communication and education officers from Alpine protected areas.
ALPARC's general communication objectives are:
- to inform the general public about protected areas in the Alps
- to raise awareness about conservation in the Alps (Alpine Convention) and therefore about the role of the protected areas in the Alps
- to provide information about ALPARC and the value of international cooperation in this field (exchanges, experience, expertise).
In ALPARC's early years, the emphasis was naturally on developing internal communication, i.e. communication between the managers of Alpine protected areas.
The working group then headed up and implemented the ALPENCOM project (INTERREG IIIB) from 2005 to 2008. The project's main aim was to organise and expand external communication – communication with the public.
It resulted in the creation of a communication strategy, together with a corporate design and the first generation of communication tools.
The group is currently focussing on continuing the work begun during the ALPENCOM programme and is also expanding its outlook to include environmental education, principally through collaboration with the Alpine Mountain Environment Education Network (REEMA).
(The list of the members of the working group is available on the Extranet: restricted access only).
Resources linked to the article
ALPARC Postcards Series *
Since 2007, the Alpine protected areas present themselves to the public and show their involvement in the Alpine Network of Protected Areas - ALPARC and their engagement in the international cooperation for the protection of the Alps through this ALPARC postcards serie.
The postcards are distributed for free in the visitor centres of many protected areas as well as at the occasion of local events or also during the international events organised by ALPARC.
- Concept: Working Group "Joint Communication" of ALPARC Network
- Coordination: ALPARC
- Graphic design: Montagne créative , Régis Ferré and Fabienne Mathray
2008-2009. Edited by ALPARC.